Downing College makes every effort to house all incoming graduate students. For the most up to date information on available rooms follow this link.
If you need to fill in a maintenance request with respect to College accommodation, follow the information given here. The login details are emailed out at the beginning of the year but you can confirm these by emailing the IT department.
Some students prefer to live out of college, and others may not have a choice of living in college. A great deal of advice on how to find accommodation, minimum standards of fitness for human habitation, tenancy agreements, inventories, TV licenses, utility bills and so on is available from the Graduate Union. The student-compiled Guide to Living Out may also be of use (although is rather dated!)
Types of Private Accommodation
- Shared House
- A house leased by a group of students collectively. The individuals share a single tenancy agreement and also share the responsibility of looking after the house, the utility bills, cleaning and so on.
- House in Multiple Occupation (HMO’s)
- Students living in these houses have individual tenancies and each of their rooms has a lock on it. Tenants usually share the cooking and bathroom facilities.
- Resident Landlords
- The agreement between tenants and resident landlords differ. Some landlords will provide additional services such as meals or laundry and rents may include the utility bill.
- University Accommodation Service, 18 Silver Street, Cambridge CB3 9EL. Tel: 01223 353518 or 338099. Email.
- The University’s accommodation newsgroup, available on the web
- The Graduate Union Forum
- Cambridge Accommodation Noticeboard
- Noticeboards, including those at the Graduate Union, the University Centre and in Colleges and departments.
- Estate Agents and Letting Agents can be found in the telephone directory.