Downing is committed to maintaining its status as one of the greenest colleges in the University. The MCR and JCR work closely together, as well as with the College to engage with environmental issues. Downing is always highly placed in the Student Switch Off Campaign (studentswitchoff.org/unis/cambridge/) and a number of events are held to raise awareness of this. In addition there are also environmental events organised within Downing throughout the year, such as Green Formal and a plant fair in Michaelmas term. Recently a MCR-wide treasure hunt was held to celebrate World Polar Bear Day.
The MCR environmental officer is also responsible for liaising with College about its environmental impact; including making sure that Downing is heated/lit as efficiently as possible, that as much waste as possible is recycled, and that the green and beautiful areas of the college are maintained for the enjoyment of the MCR.
Recycling points can be found in numerous places around college.
The Lensfield Road houses also have black recycling boxes for cans, paper tins and glass (these go out every other Thursday), as well as blue recycling box for plastic bottles only. There are paper recycling bins in the MCR and the flats in the Singer building. For a list of what can go into each container and other recycling information see here.
There is a Council recycling point in Adam & Eve Street car park, on the way to the Grafton Centre, where paper, cans, glass and plastic bottles are collected for recycling. You can find this recycling point in this map. However… reduce and re-use are always preferable to recycling.
- CUSU Green Campaign – with a list of college Green Officers
- Cambridge Environmental Initiative (CEI)
- Cambridge Sustainable City – “Cambridge City Council’s programme of working with partners and the community of Cambridge to improve the environment and promote more sustainable lifestyles, including details of local recycling sites.”
- Frontier Projects – A useful site with info on conservation, field research and other projects
- Groundwork – Community-based work
- Environ – Wide-ranging UK environmental information
- Greenpeace UK
- Friends of the Earth
- Energy Savings Trust
- ActionAid Recycling
- Permaculture UK – comprehensive links page