The Downing College MCR is very social and we hold many events throughout the year. Regular annual events include:
- Burn’s Night dinner & Ceilidh
- St. Patrick’s Day party
- Christmas formal and party
- Cheese and Wine nights
- Chinese New Year celebrations
- Summer Garden Party
- Midway Dinner (for those halfway through their degrees)
- A ‘superformal’ for students to invite their family to Downing, including a jazz band and casino afterwards.
- Many formal ‘swaps’ with other Colleges so you can dine elsewhere and meet other people
- An exchange with Lincoln College, our sister College in Oxford.
- In July/August, we hold our annual Summer ‘Mini-Ball’ – past themes have included Summer of Love, James Bond, and Back to the Future.
These are all on top of our regular weekly events, including a Friday night grad bar, Sunday afternoon Tea & Cake, and a Tuesday lunchtime ‘mingle table’ at Hall, where students and fellows eat and talk together. Downing is also one of the few Colleges to have their own dedicated ‘MCR/SCR Liason Fellow’ – a member of the senior academic community, currently Dr Philip Rubery, in charge of facilitating social events between the graduate and academic community at Downing. Together with Philip, we arrange regular events such as an MCR Seminar Night, where graduates share their research to the rest of the College community, and a series of semi-autobiographical talks by fellows discussing their lives and research.
We’re open to further ideas – if you’re a current student and have an idea for an event you’d like to see happen, please get in touch the Committee, who will be able to help coordinate and even provide funding if possible.
For current students, major events will be announced via the postgrad mailing list throughout the year, but please remember to also join the Downing MCR News and Events Facebook group for smaller reminders and weekly events.